[PSUBS-MAILIST] CAD for presentation

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri May 27 22:17:13 EDT 2016

FEA on cheaper programmes is to be treated with caution.

We did comparison between Solid Works FEA,  Solid Edge FEA and actual measured deflection.

Solid works showed 2mm deflection,  Solid Edge showed 3.1mm deflection and actual measurement was .1 mm  using a DTI.

They are great programmes to show where stresses occur to assist design but they are a poor substitute for actual testing under proper conditions.

Proper FEA should be left to the experts, as Sean says, as the meshing is critical to get good results.

Hugh