[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw: motor

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Oct 3 17:50:29 EDT 2016

Hi James,
am answering the question for Hank here, & adding some more comment.
On his original Ebay link, if you scroll through the images, there is a diagram
of the motor internals that says the controller is inside. I was wondering about
this & can't see any evidence to the contrary. All these brushless motor controllers
have large capacitors that could be susceptible to pressure in a compensated
motor if you went too deep.
It would be interesting to pressure test a similar capacitor to see where they fail.
The motor is an in-runner that has the coils on the outside & permanent magnet
part rotating. These have less torque than the out-runner motor, so I am dubious
of their performance statistics.
Still the housings are hard to make & they look like they have done a good job.
Would love to pull one apart.