[PSUBS-MAILIST] Drop weight design

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Sep 17 16:29:42 EDT 2016

Brian,
We discussed this a few years back, & I can remember Vance making
some negative comments about the system, saying that on the slightest
interruption to the power the ballast would drop.
It may be that because the subs mentioned, are going so deep,
there are very few other alternatives.
I have a stack of magnets for fire safety doors, that keep doors open
& release them to close in event of fire. They don't seem to draw much
in the way of amps, from memory.
Of course you would have to epoxy them or something, & they would loose
a bit of power with the bigger gap caused by the insulation.
You would need a manual system to hold them in while transporting &
when the power was off for storage.
A big plus would be the instantaneous response in an emergency, but
you could get that other ways.