[PSUBS-MAILIST] fiberglass

MerlinSub@t-online.de via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Sep 19 14:18:27 EDT 2016

Hi Scott

01) make a positiv from plywood, foam, concret whatever. Make the surface smooth and stable and with overlength of 2-5 inches
02) make a negativ copy from Polyester and Glasfiber
03) Make your positiv orginal copies - cut the overlength.
Thats a short description of a long way.

0A) make a positiv from plywood. Make the surface smooth and stable
0B) Bring this positiv to a small boatsbulder and let him make the 02) and 03)
Because that the most labour hours are in 01) - 0A) the rest in sometimes cheap.

If the Pisces is normaly storage is outside the water - Polyester resin with a Gelcoat outside and a epoxypaint inside is a good and unexpensive and easy to handle way. If it is long time exposende in the water maybe Epoxy resin is the better solution but more tricky to handle and more expensive.

vbr Carsten -  I can send you more pictures because here the pictures are very limited in size and amount.

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: [PSUBS-MAILIST] fiberglass
Datum: 2016-09-19T17:27:27+0200
Von: "via Personal_Submersibles" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
An: "PSUBS" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>

Hey everyone,

For someone such as myself that doesn't know much about fiberglass. Can I get some help for what I need to do to build the fairings for Pisces VI?

*What fabric and resin do I use

*I know of the foam plug method, but how do I get the outside to be pretty and smooth. do I have to use a negative mold for that?

*How do I correlate how much fabric I need to equal a specific thickness?

Any help and links to websites/videos are appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott Waters