[PSUBS-MAILIST] Oil Compensator

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 5 16:02:57 EDT 2017

Jon,Cliff has been doing a lot of work on Minn kota modifications & has the handson experience. If he's not tuning in it would be worth contacting him privately.The Minn-kota seal set up is not ideal, with the gap between the two sealsmeaning one or the other seals will fail when their pressure rating is exceeded.The outer seal seems to serve a double purpose, being the first line of defenseagainst water ingress & also a sacrificial seal that will see all the abrasive muck stirred up by the prop.Noticed in this kit that the outer seal has a shield to protect it.Historically in deep diving set ups they have had dual seals, but with either ambient pressure between them,or a cascaded pressure system, and normally mechanical seals. The outer seal was regarded as sacrificial.   Maybe you could pack between the seals with grease to reduce the air gap. I am not sure whether you could simply reverse the inner seal or not as they need a shoulder that the pressurewill push them up against.Cliff is using a small relieving air regulator to compensate his motors. The regulator is fed air from your tanks& is set at an overpressure of about 4psi. The regulator is orientated upside down as the relieving air feedsout through the handle portion & the orientation will stop water entering when this valve opens.This system was suggested by Hugh, & Cliff is trialing it. It has the advantage that you could either air or oilcompensate. If your motor ran out of oil it would just be replaced with air above ambient pressure.I am not sure at what pressure the relieving valve opens.   There is this very good Psub resource from an expert in modifying Minn kotas for underwater use.Personal Submersible: White Paper: Minn Kota Motor NotesCheers Alan

|   |
Personal Submersible: White Paper: Minn Kota Motor Notes
   |  |