[PSUBS-MAILIST] Oil Compensator

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 5 16:29:39 EDT 2017

Hi Alan,

Yeah, that white paper pretty much just states fill it with oil and
you're good to go.  It doesn't address some of the issues that have come
up on the list regarding heat and expansion, inter-seal cavity, etc.  I
understand the drive to find a perfect solution and that minn-kota oil
compensation is not perfect, I'm just trying to understand the
real-world ramifications of using it as that white paper suggests and
most psubbers have implemented. Given that water is such a good heat
sink, are the heat and expansion issues of the oil really that serious?
I know Alec wrote something about his experience with this some time ago
but am having a hard time finding that thread.  Pretty sure SNOOPY is
still using simple oil compensation regardless.

Jon