[PSUBS-MAILIST] Oil Compensator

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Apr 10 10:27:03 EDT 2017

What I've gleaned so far is that regardless of oil vs air method, nobody
has addressed the space between the shaft seals on the minn-kota so from
that perspective the methods are equal.  Regarding that void between the
seals I have to again wonder if the two seals are really necessary in a
compensated system.  I'm looking at one of my MK101 lower units and the
space between seals is about 6mm.  But for sake of argument, assuming
both seals are required, could you not simply remove the spacer and
outer seal, fill some part of the void with oil and then discard the
spacer but install the outer seal so it butts against the oil reservoir
creating a sandwich of inner-seal, oil, outer-seal.

I really like the air compensation system that Greg and Cliff
described.  While it is simplistic in theory, I am concerned that I am
going to end up with an octopus of tubing trying to retrofit it to the
K-600 using the existing hull penetrations.  However, not needing to pot
the wires at the motor or worry about fluid creep between insulating
wires is attractive.  I also notice in my unit that there is white
grease lubricating the thrust bearing and shaft seals.

Jon