[PSUBS-MAILIST] Oil Compensator

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Apr 10 12:15:36 EDT 2017

I just got off the phone with the Parker guys, their elastomer seal group
out of Utah.  I discussed the MK-101 application issue with them as it
applies to my boat (air compensation, 4 psi differential, 450 fsw max
ambient). I guided the conversation towards the KISS principle rather than
evaluating more sophisticated seals such a double mechanical cartridge
seals. The guy I spoke with said that the 1-atm gap between the two lip
seals, as per the manufacturers original design, is very likely to cause
a problem as well as seal orientation.  His recommendation was to use the
two existing lip seals but to reverse them, so that the outer bound seal
could handle the situation where the pressure compensation is off and boat
is just sitting in the water over night and the inner seal is oriented so
it can handle the normal operating condition of a 4 psi higher internal
pressure than ambient.  He also suggested using a seawater and freshwater
resistant grease between the seals rather than oil to help prevent  this
barrier fluid from leaking out. He also suggested removing the cardboard
spacer.  Under normal operating conditions when the thruster is being
pressure compensated, the 4 psi is trying to push both seals out of
the Minn-Kota Brushed End Housing part but due to the lip seal interference
fit, they should stay in place.

I am inclined to give this a try. Not sure what greese to try but a quick
look online looks like  DuPont Marine Grease with Teflon fluropolymer might
work.
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Waterproof-cartridge-DGM614101/dp/B003UTX0N2
http://www.performancelubricantsusa.com/product/marine-waterproof-grease.php

Does anyone have a better recommendation for a saltwater -freshwater
resistant grease for this application?

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <