[PSUBS-MAILIST] Plastic Propeller

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Apr 13 20:26:08 EDT 2017

Hi Alan,
I looked into Vetus props a long time ago and the problem was that they take HUGE amounts of amps to spin because of the pitch.
Many years ago I was over at Busby's house and we were talking about subs needing big props with low pitch and lots of torque. Franks analogy was the props you see on an ice breaker- big slow turning props to get a lot of weight moving. He also showed me pics of the just delivered soviet mir subs (classified at the time). They had really big slow turning props to get a lot of mass moving but not a lot of top speed. Kind of like 1st gear in your auto.
Greg C

      From: Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: personal_submersibles at psubs.org
 Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2017 7:54 PM
 Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Plastic Propeller

Greg, (or anyone else as knowledgeable)
I am going to test a Vetus 146mm propeller soon. On paper it
seems a good match to my motor. I have not seen a left hand prop (which I
need) & the right hands go between $56- & $100-. Also I may need a slightly
smaller diameter. They are made of delrin.
Is there an easy / inexpensive way of replicating
something similar? I was thinking they could be printed & the print used
as a lost wax type aluminium casting.
I could make a silicon mold from a print & cast a fiber reinforced propeller,
but aren't sure about the strength & quality I could get.
Any thoughts on the best way of doing this?
Thanks, Alan