[PSUBS-MAILIST] actuated valves?

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Apr 15 12:44:40 EDT 2017

Hank,Where to get the valves? Thanks, Greg.

      From: hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2017 10:43 AM
 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] actuated valves?

Alec,If you want simple, look at electric solenoid valves for venting the tanks.  You can buy 8 valves for 100 dollars.  You can plumb the tanks together to create 4 zones or you can install one valve directly to each tank (12)   The beauty of using more valves is safety.  If one fails, no big issue.  You can wire 3 valves together so only need a 5 wire penetrator.  The nice thing about this idea is it is cheap to experiment with and no modification to the tanks or sub.  you will need check valves on the air feed lines so the tanks are not connected.  No point in venting one zone if it can send or receive air to another zone.  If you are reluctant to use unprotected valves in fresh water, I can say the ones we used on our log salvage ROV never once gave us a problem in two years of operation.  I am talking many thousands of dives, actually one dive every 7 minutes.  If your in salt water then you may want to go with an electric valve bank with four valves where the valve bank is in an oil tank with a bladder mounted behind the CT.   That is how my hydraulic valve works for my new manipulator.  It is fast and easy to set up, and is what I will do for Elementary.  In the mean time you can use cheap valves to figure it all out.  Your entire fix (experiment) can be under 200 dollars, then go to oil bath solenoids.Hank