[PSUBS-MAILIST] Personal_Submersibles Digest, Vol 50, Issue 19

Pete Niedermayr via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 10 19:24:13 EDT 2017

Melbourne ? Try Minnesota.
On Wed, 8/9/17, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Personal_Submersibles Digest, Vol 50, Issue 19
 To: "Personal Submersibles General Discussion" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Date: Wednesday, August 9, 2017, 8:09 PM

 Hi
 Steve,ideally a normal air
 conditioner would be better for cooling, but you have to get
 rid of it's heat somehow.
 I am not sure how the expensive submersibles do it! Maybe
 there is a
 through hull to an external heat exchanger. They are also
 noisy, bulky & I could bewrong but I believe
 G.L. have issues with the gas they use! If the peltier was
 25% asefficient as a
 compression unit, & needed 4 x the power, then that
 might mean havinganother battery to
 drive it. The bulk & expense of the battery may even out
 the cost& size comparison
 of the two options. This would be interesting to
 research!I
 saw a couple of articles that said the Peltier was up there
 in efficiency with resistive heating. They
 are used in climate control modules in both their heating
 &cooling
 functions, & I like this option for a submersible where
 you can go from one extreme of temperature
 to another! ( like Melbourne)Cheers Alanp.s. my daughter loves
 it in Melbourne she has been there 4 years now!

 Sent
 from my iPad
 On
 10/08/2017, at 12:14 PM, Stephen Fordyce via
 Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 wrote:

 Hi Alan,Resistive heating being
 about as close as you can get to 100%, I would be sceptical
 about that. I've experimented with Peltier modules for
 gas cooling and they were quite disappointing in
 performance, although wonderfully simple in
 operation.
 Cheers,Steve
 On 10 Aug 2017 8:33 am,
 "Alan via Personal_Submersibles" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 wrote:
 Just did some Googling on
 the Peltier as a heater.In
 an experiment I saw it was more efficient than resistive
 heating!This
 depends to an extent on the ambient heat
 differential. I
 would imagine you would need to attach them to the hull
 & surround themwith
 an insulating material to stop the metal of the hull
 radiating backthe
 cold or heat produced, & force it to transfer it all to
 the water.Another
 bunny trail to investigate.Cheers
 Alan

 Sent from my
 iPad
 On 10/08/2017, at 9:18 AM,
 Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.
 org> wrote:

 Mike,the peltier is only
 1/4 to 1/3 as efficient as a compressor system, but
 Cliff& I have very little spare room. They
 serve as heaters by reversing polarity.I am not
 sure of their efficiency as heaters compared with resistive
 coils;probably poor!  Cliff would have to cut a
 hole in his fibreglass outer & dig backthe
 syntactic foam to the pressure hull to get cooling on the
 reverse side ofthe peltier or compressor air
 conditioning unit. Could look sexy if he put
 someshark gills in it for water
 ingress.Cliff didn't have a cover on the
 dome, & that would let a lot of heat in.We
 had a wet towel on Snoopy last time at
 Islamorada.Have heard that people like Nuytco use
 a shore based air conditioner to coolthe sub down
 prior to a dive; but I don't know how long that benefit
 wouldlast being towed out that
 distance.Cheers Alan

 Sent from my
 iPad
 On 10/08/2017, at 6:25
 AM, peaceroom via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.
 org> wrote:

 Reference,summer submarine cooling. A scaled down
 version of the small cooler with ice and DC fan, similar to
 the one in Sportys, aviation supplies is what a lot of
 planes use. Just an inexpensive idea. Peltier coolers
 provide very little cooling versus DC current used. Mike
 Patterson

 Sent from my Samsung
 device

 --------