[PSUBS-MAILIST] pressure test

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Aug 28 21:50:10 EDT 2017

Hi All,Gamma has made it home without a scratch or a drop of water inside after the  pressure test.  It was an eventful day, we had a brake line fail 2 hr into the trip.  I had to stop in Creston BC to buy a hand full of bits and pieces to repair the brake line and we back on the road.  I launched no problem but then the problems started.  About 100m  off shore a relay burt up and gave me a smokey sub and I lost propulsion on a main motor.  That left me with two small  30lb thrust motors to continue to deep water.  I was not stopping even if I had to row out there.   I sank Gamma and waited an hr to retrieve her.  I pulled on the line that sends air to the MBT's and it came up quite slow.  When it hit the surface it was stern down drastically,,,weird?   well it turn out the the aft mbt was not getting air because the inside hull stop was not on, even though I checked it?  well turns out the arrow shaped tee handle needs to be oriented 90 degrees to the air line,weird.  My mistake.  Well now the fun started, I could not go into the sub to open the valve and I was not sure what the problem was exactly because I also replaced the two MBT valves with new 6,000 psi ss needle valves yesterday  so  I  thought one might be faulty.   I tried blocking the air to the front mbt by pinching the lines and no luck of coarse.  I was then forced to push the sub  back to the ramp with my inflatable with a 32lb thrust motor.  That trip took an hr.  Once I was back at the ramp I could enter the sub and turn the aft mbt valve open and all was fine, I surface the stern and loaded her up and drove home.  I now know the sub can surface on just the front mbt and I could open the hatch with the aft tanks flooded.  A short video is loading on youtube right now.  Will post shortly.Hank