[PSUBS-MAILIST] USB thru hull

Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Dec 1 17:33:29 EST 2017

Hi Brian,
I know what you mean and I'm not sure what they use either for the wireless
pressure transmitter - but I gather it's something proprietary and
expensive. My experiments have been to try to make standard/cheap products
work - to avoid through hulls rather than underwater wiring.

Cheers,
Steve

On 2 Dec 2017 4:35 am, "Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles" <

Steve,  Was just talking about that with a friend last night.  I know here
is wireless equipment made for scuba, like reading your buddies pressure
via wireless, not sure what they use.

Brian

--- personal_submersibles at psubs.org wrote:

From: Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles <
personal_submersibles at psubs.org>

To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.
org>
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] USB thru hull
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 19:37:49 +1100

Hi Brian,
Could you use a wireless USB connection instead?  I'm not sure of the exact
product, but surely something exists with the functionality of a USB cable,
but with a wireless signal instead of the cable.

Various wireless signals will get through plastic, short hops through water
and sometimes even metal, which rather surprised me.  I've had
weak Bluetooth signals go through 6mm acrylic plus 1-2m
air, and through 3mm aluminium + 5mm water + 1m air.  You would have to
have the outside half of the wireless hardware pretty close to the hull
(maybe at a viewport? or at a port with a solid plastic plug) but then you
could run a wire from there to the camera and dispense with a penetrator
into the camera housing.  Might be  worth considering when weighed against
everything involved in a penetrator.

I also did a USB (2.0) potted (but unshielded) wired connection for my
pressure pot.  It was noisy enough that the very crappy webcam I installed
inside struggled to get the signal through properly.

Cheers,
Steve

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Brian Cox via Personal_Submersibles <

Thanks Sean, Alan,  I've just been recently amazed how there are so many
options now with usb and HDMI that it could be a good way to control stuff
outside the sub , like panning the camera for instance .  But you could
have a myriad of different controls as well.

Brian