[PSUBS-MAILIST] air compensation

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Dec 9 19:23:53 EST 2017

 Alan,Hmmm, looks like a test is in order. Hank
    On Saturday, December 9, 2017, 11:46:13 AM MST, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

 Hank,Hugh is the expert on this, but....if the supply pressure is 130psi to the inlet port of the regulator, then if therewas a drop of pressure down stream caused by the piston extending, youwould get pressure at 130psi flowing in until the back pressure in the system ( hose & actuator) reached your set pressure (4psi). It doesn't looklike a simple equation because the 130psi would be flowing in very slowlyinitially, as the valve slowly opened.    Now to the ascent! If you are using a relieving regulator set at 4psi then thepressure that it relieves at will be set by the strength of the spring in the handlecontrolling the relieving valve.You could change what it is preset at by buying a new spring or maybe grindinga bit off it. Say it is set at 2psi above your main setting, then the internal pressureof the regulator would be 6psi above ambient before it started relieving.The worst case scenario would be ascending from 30ft where the pressure woulddouble if it wasn't relieved. Any pressure in the hose is going to increase as willthe flow, so not an easy equation. You might want to guess what internal pressure the actuator can take & be carefulof the wire gland fitting that nothing can blow out.Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad