[PSUBS-MAILIST] air compensation

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Dec 9 13:45:46 EST 2017

Hank,
Hugh is the expert on this, but....
if the supply pressure is 130psi to the inlet port of the regulator, then if there
was a drop of pressure down stream caused by the piston extending, you
would get pressure at 130psi flowing in until the back pressure in the system
( hose & actuator) reached your set pressure (4psi). It doesn't look
like a simple equation because the 130psi would be flowing in very slowly
initially, as the valve slowly opened.
   Now to the ascent! If you are using a relieving regulator set at 4psi then the
pressure that it relieves at will be set by the strength of the spring in the handle
controlling the relieving valve.
You could change what it is preset at by buying a new spring or maybe grinding
a bit off it. Say it is set at 2psi above your main setting, then the internal pressure
of the regulator would be 6psi above ambient before it started relieving.
The worst case scenario would be ascending from 30ft where the pressure would
double if it wasn't relieved. Any pressure in the hose is going to increase as will
the flow, so not an easy equation.
You might want to guess what internal pressure the actuator can take & be careful
of the wire gland fitting that nothing can blow out.
Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad