[PSUBS-MAILIST] scrubber filter

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Feb 12 14:43:40 EST 2017

Did some looking into published info on CO2 concentrations in submarines.   If
you look at work by Hager 2003  for US NAVY, he looked at nine nuclear fast
attack boats and the average CO2 concentration for the observed was 3,500
ppm with a range of 0-10,600 ppm.  In the same report  he looked at another
10 nuclear fast attack boats and the average of 4,100 ppm with a range of
300,-11,300 ppm was observed.  The reference for this work is:
.

Hagar, R. 2003. Submarine Atmosphere Control and Monitoring Brief for the
COT Committee. Presentation at the First Meeting on Emergency and
Continuous Exposure Guidance Levels for Selected Submarine Contaminants,
January 23, 2003, Washington, DC.

In a report by Gude and Schaefer in 1969 from US Navy Submarine Medial
Center they studied ten subjects after a 20 days of exposure on two
patrols, they found their exposure was to 0.8-0.9% CO2 or 8,000-9,000 ppm.
The reference for this data is:
Gude, J.F. and Schafer, K.E. “The Effect of Respotory Dead space of
prolonged exposure to a submarine enviornment.  U.S. Navy Submarfine
Medical ,report SMRL587, 4.p June 27,1969.
It is important to note that nuclear subs remove CO2 from their boats in an
intirely different way, that use a small contacting vessel and Amine
solution specifically monoethanolamine (MEA) that is recycled.  See
http://www93.homepage.villanova.edu/michael.b.walsh/CO2Scrubber.htm   PSubs
and rebreathers use a absorption method.

ABS rules require that we stay below 5000 ppm.  So to me as long as we can
keep the CO2 levels below 5000 ppm for our boats we should be good.
With a radial filter and using SodaSorbHP 4-8 mesh, the scrubber on my boat
keeps the level below 2200 ppm with the average about 1500 ppm.

I may have mentioned this before (sad to get old) but there is an excellent
report on CO2 scrubber design that Prepared by M. L. NUCKOLS, A. PURER, G.
A. DEASON US Navy.    "*NCSC TECH MAN 4110-1-83*. I. (REVISION A). S00.
TECHNICAL MANUAL tow. DESIGN GUIDELINES FOR. CARBON DIOXIDE SCRUBBERS. I.
MAY 1983.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi1ycq5jIvSAhULqFQKHZntCgEQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdtic.mil%2Fcgi-bin%2FGetTRDoc%3FAD%3DADA160181&usg=AFQjCNEkEuITHpiL3OhlPfSkacVD6iL3iA
There a lot of technical info on scrubbers in this report.  What we need is
someone to take as a PSUB research project reading, digesting and
converting this report into an Excel spreadsheet that we could use to
evaluate our scrubber designs.  We could then do some experiment work with
our scrubber's to test the new spreadsheet.

Cliff