[PSUBS-MAILIST] transducer

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Jan 8 13:56:57 EST 2017

Hi Hank,
Doug was building a tow behind rov with scanning sonar to 3000ft.
You may find some information there.
http://www.submarineboat.com/rov_sonar.htm
   I think Scott had some information on depth capability of one of his
transducers, but not sure where in the World he is!
   I contacted a Navico tech rep asking about the Simrad forward scan
depth rating, & there was no testing done on this.
   The good news is that most depth sounders can shoot through up
to 1/2" of fibreglass. I am not sure whether it matters if it is epoxy / glass
or  polyester / glass. Would certainly be the latter as most boats are made
of it.
   There is plenty of information on "Shoot through hull installation" on the net.
   You could possibly encapsulate the transducer in a fibreglass ball, making
sure there is no more than 1/2" thickness in the transmitting area. As most
boats have a hull thats angled to the surface of the water, I don't think it would
matter having a rounded fibreglass form around the transducer.
   It is important that there are no air gaps or bubbles in the transmitting area.
   One idea I had was to make a miniature view port with a 1/2 inch thick fibreglass
disk in it, & mount the transducer in the hull over that. This would mean no
pressure & water proofing or through hulls. I think a 2" x 1/2" disc would do for about 4000ft.