[PSUBS-MAILIST] valve ID

Tue Jan 10 21:24:34 EST 2017

The CGA-870 pin-indexed yoke connection (medical oxygen) is a yoke style connection, where the reg has a yoke screw on the back side of the post which tightens it against the O-ring / gasket. This is similar to the CGA-850 SCUBA connection that many of you will be familiar with.  While these yoke type connections are quick to connect and disconnect, IMO they are less than ideal for any sort of permanent installation. I long ago migrated away from CGA-850 in SCUBA because of the decreased entrapment potential and the greater security and pressure capability of the 300 bar DIN 477 connection. For submarines, consider the application. If you are buying industrial oxygen or breathing air supplied in cylinders, (or wish to retain the capability to use such cylinders) it makes sense to employ the CGA 540 (industrial oxygen) or  CGA 346 connections (industrial breathing air) to mate to them as supplied. Certainly, you need to use standard valve connections on any cylinder which you intend
to have refilled elsewhere. Conversely, for cylinders which are part of a permanent installation on a submarine, such as outboard oxygen, breathing mixtures or ballast air cylinders, I would question whether cylinder valves are necessary at all, provided you have a means of charging them. I might be inclined to replace a cylinder valve with an adapter to convert the NPS thread in the cylinder neck to e.g. 1/4 NPTF and plumb that into the hull or a general purpose regulator directly, provided of course that you employ the appropriate shutoff valves where necessary. If you only employ as many oddball fittings and connectors as it takes to convert to something standard and common, you reduce your inventory of spare parts and increase interchangeability.

Note also that you can buy all manners of CGA gas connections to mate with standard cylinder valves which have NPT(M/F) on the other side. This allows you to manifold a bunch of cylinders together and plumb them to any general purpose regulator.

Sean