[PSUBS-MAILIST] Penetrator Air Void Question/Concern

Steve McQueen via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jan 31 09:51:24 EST 2017

All, I am running a multi conductor cable (11-12mm OD) for my 12V stern thruster thru an existing 1/2" pipe nipple in the aft head of my K-250.

I am using a Blueglobe gland fitting (BG 220 VA, rated @ 1,160 psig) on the outboard pressure side of the nipple and a Conax gland (PG5-500-A-N,rated @ 800 psig) for the gland fitting inboard.

I was originally only going to have interior Conax gland and let the pipe free flood.  Then I decided I wanted to have redundancy and keep the pipe interior dry to help prevent corrosion (it is old school (not SS)).

My question:  Is the air void that will exist between the 2 gland fittings a concern? Think empty pipe with both ends capped. I'm thinking not...

Thanks,
Steve