[PSUBS-MAILIST] New video of bathtub submarine

k6fee via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jul 11 14:34:31 EDT 2017

Hi Everyone,
If you watch these guys other videos you will see they do all kinds of crazy/stupid stuff in the vein of "Jackass" and other youtubers, to drive views and create income from monitization. Unfortunately we humans love conflict, danger, drama and entertainment, thus feeding this kind of reckless behavior.
Keith T

-------- Original message --------From: james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> Date: 7/11/17  10:35 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New video of bathtub submarine
Notice how they title the video with the word "death" in it.  Almost as if they are proud of the drama. The problem is two things- not sticking to established principles and wanting to talk about the drama.
I dived my sub in Lake Anna for almost ten years from a certain marina. In 2006, I told some fellow psubbers about the location as a possible convention site. They volunteered to "talk" to the owner to set it up (big mistake). Next thing I knew, the owner told me that a group told him about all the safety features that were needed to avoid the "danger". Not wanting the "danger" at his marina, he decided not to allow subs there anymore, including mine.
I was the one that got permission from the Army Corps to use Raystown Lake instead. It was no problem at all. I didn't talk about drama. I answered their questions. They said yes and gave me free use of the visitor center to boot. We had about 6 subs that year and had a great time. I kept my sub at Raystown for another two years diving it with no problems (or attention).
Today the Army Corps requires a lengthy process to grant the same permission. Some where along the way they changed their minds about submarines. It is both good and bad. Good because they are requiring some safety items that will weed out the nuts. Bad, because now we are "on the radar". Today we already have fewer places to dive than just a few years ago.

 Psubs is cool because fabricators can share less expensive methods for construction while still following the guidelines. A lot of dangerous practices for the sake of "innovation" and a lot a drama can ruin it for everyone.

Greg