[PSUBS-MAILIST] sphere construction,

Wed Jul 12 22:37:10 EDT 2017

Hank, the physics of this doesn't work. Within the shell wall, you have tensile or compressive (hoop) stresses, shear stresses, and bending stresses.  Anytime you stress a material in tension or compression, you also induce stresses in the transverse direction. With thin-walled shells, you can make an effective approximation about the stress distribution being evenly distributed across the shell cross section. With thicker shells, this doesn't hold true. Bending and shear stresses are introduced even in a nominal geometry shell. With a sphere cut into slices, only compressive load which is perpendicular to the seams will carry across the gaps unaffected. At any angle of incidence, shear force is introduced which will not be carried through the interface unless sufficiently precompressed, just as when tensioning a bolt joint. These shear forces will not be borne by glue.

The solution is to make the interface surfaces coincident with the center of the sphere, just as when designing a hatch to replace shell material in a hole. Each ring in such a sphere would consequently have a different conical angle on each side. The difficulty would be in maintaining tight machining tolerances for concentricity and mating angle. You would also require some sort of external strapping / structure in order to both keep it all together, and bear any external loading which is not purely compressive. Also, the glue won't work if there is an extrusion path. Plan on metal to metal sealing between each ring, with an elastomeric backup at the outside of each seam.

Sean