[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ethical obligation to inform

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Jul 17 19:55:45 EDT 2017

Hi Alan,

Good point regarding the taxi comparison.  However, regarding commercial
fabricators, the issue is not to differentiate between commercial and
non-commercial use, but rather certified vs home-built submarines for
private use.  An overlap in the "personal" or "private" submarine
category exists because commercial fabricators do have a market to
supply rich people a submarine "toy" for their own personal use.  What
we are seeing, I believe, is a desire from some commercial fabricators
to differentiate, in as obvious way as possible, their certified vessel
from a home-built vessel to protect their business from any public
misconception about "personal" submarines that might result from an
accident involving a home-built.  What's the easiest and most obvious
way to do that?  Diminish the perceived quality and/or reliability of
non-certified home-built submarines by slapping a label on them such as
"experimental".

As you illustrated with your taxi and private surface boat examples, it
would be much better from our perspective if certified submarines were
identified in some manner such as having a sticker from the certifying
authority, or "CERTIFIED" emblazoned upon their hull, if they really
believe demarcation is necessary to protect their business.

Jon