[PSUBS-MAILIST] VAST

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Mar 22 01:11:35 EDT 2017

Inspect the old VAST submarines carefully.  They are old as the hills
(almost) and may require more work to recondition than building a new
K250.  In particular, they had an integral internal hard ballast that
would make it difficult to assess hull viability without some
destruction and rebuilding of that element alone. Keep in mind that
Kittredge submarines evolved from ideas and refinements that were
learned from operational lessons with previous models.

You can read the basic history of Kittredge submarines here:
http://www.psubs.org/reference/publications/kittredgesubmarines.pdf

Jon