[PSUBS-MAILIST] VAST

irox via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Mar 22 01:32:04 EDT 2017

I was looking at buying a VAST (one of a few (3?) sold as a "K250" after VAST went under)
a while ago. Then Daniel Lance gave me a great piece of a advice: "Don't."  It was
cheaper and better to build a K250 from scratch then buy and refit/modernize as VAST.

Much later I completely ignored his advice while having a minor mid-life issue and
bought one.  I consider it a submarine shaped piece of scrap metal with a trailer and
some lead (at least until it's restored).

To deal with the issues of not being able to inspect certain parts of the hull, I
used an ultra-sonic thickness to determine if there is any significant corrosion.
This can be placed on the outside of the hull and reports the thickness of the material.

Ultimately Daniel Lance was spot on with his advice and it would have been
easier to build or commission a K250 from plan instead.  Although there is something
to be said for having a K250 shaped piece of artwork/scrap in your garage.

My plans (when I get time) are to strip it, add external framing, then remove the internal
ballast tanks.  Hopefully creating a nice platform to build on, with a little more room
inside.

If I was doing this again, I would prefer to not buy a VAST, either hold out for a real
K250 or build one from scratch.

Cheers,
  Ian.