[PSUBS-MAILIST] reinforcing ring

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Nov 11 15:11:48 EST 2017

Hi Sean,I am getting started on my motor install in my escape pod while I wait for rov and manipulator parts to arrive.  When the motor assembly was in the aft head of Gamma, the motor was inside a 8 inch id pipe 1\2 in wall.  That pipe protruded through the head and was capped on the wet end with a flat plate reinforced with gussets to the prop shaft tube.   I want to use the same parts except, I want to shorten the 8 pipe so it only extends inside the sphere the depth of the magnetic coupler witch is about 4 inches.  My theory is that the additional pipe length serves no reinforcing purpose past a couple inches inside the hull.  The section of sphere I am removing weighs 7 lbs and the 4 inch long pipe section weighs 15.82 lbs plus the pipe section has a flange for bolting the prop shaft assembly on.  Is my assumption that the additional length of pipe serves no purpose for reinforcing?thanksHank