[PSUBS-MAILIST] reinforcing ring

Sat Nov 11 15:46:36 EST 2017

Hank - that is essentially correct. Effective reinforcement of the hull shell entails adding material which will carry shell stresses around the penetration, and while there is a bit of a local effect in the pipe wall that distributes load axially away from the weld, there are rapidly diminishing returns as you move away from the neutral axis of the shell wall. A better solution would be to move to a heavier wall pipe, and then make it shorter. You only need to make it long enough to land the weld with a generous fillet, although longer can't hurt - look at the cross-sectional area of the reinforcement. You should be adding at least as much area as you remove in the hole. The ideal reinforcement would be to cut a much larger hole and weld in a thicker spherical head segment so that the carried load is exactly in-line (with smooth 4:1 weld tapers at the discontinuity) so that you don't introduce stress concentrations at geometric discontinuities. In that case, the pipe wouldn't need to carry any shell stress at all, if the insert was strong enough. Quick and dirty though, you want your reinforcement to keep the stresses as close to their original paths as much as possible. Visualize crushing the reinforcement - easy to do with a thin cylinder. Not so much with a thick disc.

Sean

Sent from ProtonMail mobile