[PSUBS-MAILIST] boring tool

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Nov 27 07:56:47 EST 2017

 Rick, I thought about a Mag drill, but I was thinking about taking my small milling machine apart and making a mount on the sphere.  A mag drill could be adapted easier because I could just tack weld a flat plate to the hull for it to sit on.   I have never used a mag drill and don't know how slow they can turn?  I figure I will have to turn something pretty slow.  Steve, I don't know if I can cut it out with a milling bit, I have very little experience with this idea.  I could cut it out small with a torch using a circle guide also.  I hate machining torch cut pieces because they tent to surface harden.  I suppose I could grind the hard surface off first.   I am looking for a easy clean way to do this, before I jump in and do it the hard way. My goal in to put two small ports in Elementary 3000 without welding them in.  I will machine two holes in the hull and then machine two conical port frames to fit the hull perfectly and will be retained from the inside of the hull. Any clever ideas to achieve this would be appreciated.Hank