[PSUBS-MAILIST] (no subject)

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Oct 30 11:56:43 EDT 2017

Rick,
for the given space that you have you are not going to get any more
amp hours. I.e. if you have a 12V 50ah battery, a 12V 100ah battery is
liable to be twice the volume. I would be looking at what was the biggest
size traction battery I could fit in the available space.
You could wire up your "house battery" in parallel with your other 3 batteries
in the pod to give extra amp hours, then use a buck converter off your 36V
to give 12V for house supply. You may be able to find 3 batteries that fit
the space you have for 4.
Be careful of the amp hour rating. Most batteries are rated on a discharge
over a 20hr period whereas we have a higher rate of discharge, & this drops
the amp hour rating dramatically. And then the more you discharge the batteries
the quicker you destroy them, I think 50% is the maximum recommended
discharge.  So your 100Ahr  battery may be 30Ahr (guessing) I am emailing half
asleep so check my facts.
I have  agm batteries & they have slightly less capacity than normal lead acid
batteries, but don't spill or give off as much gas.
Of course there are lithium iron batteries!
Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad