[PSUBS-MAILIST] k-250 building questions

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 5 21:54:04 EDT 2017

Hi Philippe and congrats on the undertaking! I had a K250 for about 12
years, so here are my two cents.

1) Precisely because they are in the cabin, I would recommend AGM batteries
for safety. Of course true that Kittredge used traditional lead-acid for
years without incident, but since there is something safer these days, it
seems logical to make use of that.

2) On my boat I added saddle tanks and they worked well, but as a
complement to the standard ones. You can see pictures here:
http://www.psubs.org/projects/1234567810/snoopyin2012/

If my saddle tanks had been the only tanks, they would have needed to be
larger, but that can also create some complications related to longitudinal
stability, and the side thrusters don't make it any easier. In short yes it
should be possible, and as an example you might look up the K250 called
"Great White" (although I have only seen photos of it which don't show all
the details of the MBTs.) However, the standard tanks should not be too
hard to make, they are a good shape to lay fiberglass because there are no
sharp edges, which are an invitation to forming bubbles as lay the cloth.
I'm really bad at fiberglass work myself, but the standard MBTs are a good
first project.

3) For the acrylic my advice is the opposite - I would not even try that
myself and would go to the experts. There are two here, Greg and Emile.
Greg is without a fabrication facility at the moment, so I that leaves
Emile.

4) There are indeed a couple of K250s up on the great lakes. Perhaps
someone will speak up...

Best,

Alec

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Philippe Robert via Personal_Submersibles <