[PSUBS-MAILIST] 36v thruster - rebuild or replace with 12v?

Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 22 11:08:53 EDT 2017

After several attempts to clean up and reinstall Harold's 75 amp 36v rear thruster,  it's clearer done. The motor smokes (tried it without the prop installed and hanging out of the housing) and then pops its breaker. Not good.  It looks like the housing leaked for many years before I bought the sub and was a mess when I opened it up. I have all new seals for it.

There's a local outfit that could rebuild the motor. I haven't yet approached them about a price.

I'm leaning toward replacing all of the thrusters with 12v. That would also mean redoing the wiring harness as all of the thrusters are 36v and I'd be done diving this season. Simply reinstalling the 36v would be the easiest.

What would you do?