[PSUBS-MAILIST] 36v thruster - rebuild or replace with 12v?

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 22 11:32:08 EDT 2017

If I had to do a complete replacement I would use trolling motors, and
definitely 36 volt instead of 12. It's only a third the current for the
same power, which makes a big difference in lots of good ways. But your
case is special, because you already have the hard cans, props, linkages,
and through-hulls. If you put in trolling motors you'd also have to do
things like air or oil compensate them, probably get new through-hulls,
etc. So given the bird in hand, it's probably worth just looking around for
a new motor that can fit in the existing can, or have the old one fixed.

Best,

Alec

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles <