[PSUBS-MAILIST] Decision time.

emile via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Apr 16 07:28:36 EDT 2018

Hi James,

Think you are on the right way.

In order to reach some 5 knots, I would add a bow and stern fairing on the waterline (Drebbel style?)

Increases the waterline length and give better directional stability. Euronaut and Drebbel run much metter on the surface when some 2-3 deg. stern heavy

Otherwise it will go nose down and dive under high power…

Both direct drive or generator/ thruster are a good option.

If I build the generator version, I would buy a 24-48 VDC genset . If not available build it from a  5-8 Kw Diesel engine with 1 or 2 big (100-200 Amp)  24VDC truck dynamo’s.

Pod motor of some 4-5 Kw.  I have a steerable rimdrive astern; turns good with only a 35 deg. Angle.  Now 60 Kg thrust at 24 VDC but could be over 100 Kg at 48VDC.(8 KW)

Br. Emile