[PSUBS-MAILIST] Closed view

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Dec 22 00:00:36 EST 2018

Rick,
the round solenoid in the picture I sent is 24V & has a 10mm stroke.
At the start of the stroke it exerts 3kg force & at the end 1.5kg.
With the 48V version (square one) you can't pull it apart once it closes
with just 12V.
The problem is they only work in one direction, so you are relying on
spring pressure for return. In your case where you are closing a valve
with a lever the return may be a problem. You could possibly use two
solenoids to operate one valve.
There are solenoid valves but they could corrode if seeing salt water.
If you go with a solenoid valve be careful as most use system pressure
to aid their opening. The ones that don't ( forget the terms) are generally
24V rather than 12V.
A better way might be a small linear actuator.
Alan