[PSUBS-MAILIST] ABS Question

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jun 20 10:39:27 EDT 2018

It's a pretty small book, the ABS code. Most of what they don't specify as a limitation, they refer to adequate outside codes (ASME boiler codes, etc.). Recall the original design from Captain Kittredge for a pod closure. Nothing more than a roll of SS the same thickness as the pod welded inside so the hatch and O-ring slide over to mate with the machined but otherwise non strengthened end of the pod tube itself. Works like a champ. And was certified by Lloyd's and the Japanese certifying agency both at one time or another. I didn't see a pod open on the K-600, so I don't know if he strengthened it further or not. Probably not. The pods are calculated for like 4000 feet or something. They're the toughest thing on the boat.
Vance