[PSUBS-MAILIST] ABS Question

Wed Jun 20 11:01:37 EDT 2018

Mechanical strength will be governed by the pressure boundary component design rules, and I would suggest considering the components separately so that, for example, the body tube doesn't rely on the presence of the end cap for stiffening. Whatever your end flange is, it should meet the moment of inertia requirements for a heavy stiffener under the ABS Rules. This takes care of hoop stress and tripping concerns, and then you need only design for the shear and bending loads. Hatch land geometry is up to you, but the material surrounding the hole (if not a complete head in of itself) needs to be reinforced, and as per the discussion in the ABS Rules, the reinforcement must be integral / CJP joined to the hull shell and not welded as a doubler plate / shell. Additional details can be found in Section 8 of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, and in the ABS Steel Vessel Rules, which is also a free download. Your flanges / hatch lands should be sufficiently strong in both shear and bending, but you'll have to do the calculations for your design. Conical hatches can mirror the geometries of conical viewport rings per PVHO-1 and Jerry Stachiw's book.

Sean