[PSUBS-MAILIST] air flow vs. water flow

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Mar 29 12:35:28 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I was testing one of my new MBTs yesterday, removed from the sub, by
turning it upside down and filling it with water, then opening the mushroom
valve to let the water out. It takes 60 seconds to empty. In actual
operation it will be air instead of water coming out that valve. The
pressure will be the same, but because it will be air instead of water the
tank should empty much faster. The question is, does anyone know more or
less *how much* faster? One should be able to calculate this with
Bernoulli's formula, but this is very turbulent flow so not sure if it
would really hold. Any rules of thumb?

Thanks,