[PSUBS-MAILIST] material question

Wed May 9 16:40:48 EDT 2018

You should be able to find material specifications for the resin which indicate the expected water absorption %. There will always be some swell, but these materials can perform well in submerged service. Mechanical properties, including compressive strength, can be approximated by incorporating the properties of each of the matrix and fiber reinforcement materials in an average weighted according to their respective volume fractions in the completed composite. This will be true of random and quasi-isotropic layups. Non-isotropic layups will introduce some dependency on fiber orientation and subsequent layer rotations.
As far as water penetration, in a submerged composite I would try not to expose fiber / matrix interfaces to the medium (i.e. cut surfaces or exposed fibers), instead taking care to seal any such interfaces by coating with additional epoxy.

Sean