[PSUBS-MAILIST] SeaQuestor pressure hull.

David Colombo via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Sep 2 13:28:57 EDT 2018

Hi Jon, the centerline keel of both the 36"od hull and the tapered oblique
cone are level. The design of the oblique cone is a series of circles,
descending in diameter perpendicular to keel, and parallel to each other.
The reason for me is the design aesthetic of 1) the tapered design allowing
the front pilot sit lower than the rear pilot, 2) it looks like it's going
a 100 mph while sitting still. 3) if you have ever sat in the first car of
a roller coaster cresting the highest peak before the drop, that is the
feeling you get in that seat. 4) if you remember the movie,  Fantastic
Voyage, the pilot sat in a large dome. That's what the rear pilot for me
feels like. The exoskeleton shape was inspired by the Delta Flyer from Star
Trek Voyager series, and an organic forward canard from a humpback whale.

My mission with the SeaQuestor, is to teach and inspire young people about
the ocean and design innovation, and its gotta look cool to do that.
Remember when we went to that school in Elmarada Florida, and all those
kids being so excited, well it struck a chord with me, so we shifted from a
production design to a teaching tool, and of course exploration. The same
thing happened in Tahoe with the kiyack group. And of course based upon the
length of this email, I like to talk as well.

I am sure I will find something that I could have done differently as we
continue the build,  but that's all part of the journey.

David

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018, 3:24 AM Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles <