[PSUBS-MAILIST] Gear for manipulator

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Sep 30 03:33:09 EDT 2018

Hi,
haven't had any Psub mail for a while.
Am looking for a small gearbox similar to the one below with the double output,
but with reduction gearing, to be used for rotating the joints in a manipulator.
Preferably of non corrosive materials.
I fear I may have to make it!
I have purchased a couple of motors from BLUE ROBOTICS. The M100 (135W) & M200
(350W)
http://docs.bluerobotics.com/thrusters/motors/
These are designed to operate underwater without a housing, you just need to pot the wires. I have other plans for their use.
So the idea here is to design a relatively cheap manipulator that avoids the hassle of building waterproof housings & compensation systems. My main intended function is
to be able to reach to my thrusters & cut rope in an entanglement.
It won't be as robust as a manipulator made using pistons but will have more range of
movement & be easier to detach at depth if needed.