[PSUBS-MAILIST] (no subject)

Thu Jan 10 14:20:44 EST 2019

Just to be clear, these units employ ultrasonic acoustic transmission through water, and not radio, which is electromagnetic radiation and rapidly attenuated in water.

You're boosting 12 VDC to 24 VDC with some sort of DC-DC converter? What is your 12 V source? The boat battery? Engine running may actually be better in that scenario, because the battery should be charging at higher than nominal voltage. Once you shut the engine off, you're relying entirely on the chemical potential of the battery, which could fall below nominal quickly if it's nearing the end of it's useful service life.

Check the voltage with a multimeter, both upstream and downstream of the converter.

If that is the culprit, the best way forward is probably to replace the engine alternator with one which outputs 24 Volts, use two 12V batteries in series, and eliminate the converter.

Sean