[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re:

Dale, excellent query!  While the principle is similar to aerodynamics,
hydrodynamics is indeed a bit different with a twist.  The twist is
while you really cannot compress the water with the airfoil design, keep
in mind that you are acting against a liquid object.  Water has more
mass than air does.  So when you use the airfoil, you are not
compressing it as much as you are directing it.  You may be able to
direct it in a ditch or canal, but in a lake or ocean, you are directing
yourself.  You are moving, and you are by far smaller than the ocean
itself.  Therefore when you direct the water with the rudder/plane
you're telling the water, "Hey, I wanna go over here!".
Carl

--
"In times like these, it helps to recall there have always been times
like these."-Paul Harvey