RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Calc Spreadsheet

You're certainly right that certification agencies use lower safety factors.
Per an earlier post of Carsten's the Germans even use variable factors
depending on the design depth, and for deep diving subs the failure/normal
factor was 1.73.

Problem is, I'm an amateur and I'm building the sub in my garage. So my tool
for determining out-of-roundness, for example, is a Stanley tape measure. I
am quite sure that the pros have far more control over material and
fabrication tolerances. But even if I did get everything built just right,
the theoretical calculations are still only predictions. The actual failures
have been found to deviate from calculated values quite significantly. As a
general rule, the simpler the geometry the more reliable the calculation.
This is the reason I went with a really simple hull geometry in the first
place. If I had compound curves, or large openings, tapering wall
thicknesses, etc. I would not have the means to calculate them. And I try
not to use what I cannot calculate.

Bear in mind also that the strength of shells does not decrease in a nice
linear way when you lose accuracy. Speaking figuratively, if your geometry
is off by lets say 5%, you won't find the collapse depth is off by 5% too.
Chances are the collapse depth can be down by orders of magnitude.

There are lots of components on my sub that only present an inconvenience if
they fail, and for those I don't mind saying I've skimped and scrounged as
much as possible. But a pressure hull failure is altogether different.

Ultimately its all about taking calculated risks, and the bottom line is the
safety factor will represent your own personal degree of risk aversion, as
well as the functional objective (e.g. tourist sub vs military). I don't
think there is a universal "right answer" on this one.

rgds,

- Alec