RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Joysticks

I'm all for KISS and I'm trying my best to do that and meet my
objectives.  Maybe there is a way to do what I need using hydraulics...
any recommended reading or guidelines?

I'm planning on having a pc in the sub for seafloor graphing and so I
have it available for use for other activities.

The primary reason for going fly-by-wire is that I'm exploring different
flight profiles and controls.  For example, when traveling to and from
target location I'd like to use the controls in normal flight mode.
Once on target, I'd like to be able to change to "hover" mode for
observation purposes.  I'd also like to build in corectional capabilites
into the flight system to account for current.

Through the use of the pc, I can log my control commands and log actual
flight performance(command,reaction,time,power draw,etc) for analysis
later.

I'd also like to be able to control and monitor as many of the onboard
systems as possible through the use of as few controls and feedback
interfaces as possible.

Having a fly-by-wire provides some interesting benefits as well as
risks.  The FCS can disregard "unsafe" commands for example, pitching
down while near operating depth limit.  This system would also give me a
foundation for adding  other control systems to the sub such as a
grappler arm or two.

I know this sounds like a lot of work and expensive, but what can I say,
I'm passionate about learning and solving problems and I come from a
software background :)

Thanks for all the comments.  Question. Has anyone else in the group
built a fly-by-wire system?

(By the way, I'm still planning on having manual controls for everything
-- I'm not about to trust Windows with my life :) )