Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Good source for ready made sub thrusters

No, I'm thinking that would just cause wiring
headaches when connecting the units to my sub's
power/control systems.  I'm thinking of asking
farallon what it would cost to produce a unit with the
housing shortened to the minimum size of the thruster
itself (no batteries) and then connect it to my subs
power systems.

My sub's design plan all along has been to use some
sort of externally mounted sub thrusters that could be
removed easily for servicing/maintenance/etc.  Plus,
since I plan to build a couple of designs of subs (an
ambient and a 1 atm), the interchangeable nature of
this type of thruster again helps to cut down on the
cost of production by letting me "share" thrusters.

I'm not necessarily married to farallon as a source,
but have to admit I like the idea of a reliable (US
Navy certified) source for thrusters that are designed
for use at greater than average depth (most of the
scooters I was researching online are only designed
for a max depth of 100-200 feet).  Up till now I have
been looking at modifying a Minkota (like a lot of
other PSUBbers have done), but this gives me a
standardized design, easy access to spare parts, and a
guarrantee.

http://mail.yahoo.com