From: Dan H.
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 19:43
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] acrylic dimension change

Brian,

No, I didn't machine the faces of the lenses.

I made my viewport housings deeper then the thickest lens by about .050 of an inch.  Yes, deeper then the lens is thick.  I then ordered some stuff from West Marine that was a combination of urethane and something else. (I forgot what)  It's recommended for sealing both painted steel and acrylic, among other things.

Before installing the lens, I buttered the lens housing with the urethane bonding stuff and pressed the lens in almost all the way, then bolted on the retaining ring.  The ring pushed in on the lens until the outside was flush and the urethane squished out after it filled the .050 plus gap.   PVHO standards say there should be a urethane cushion between the lens and housing anyway, so I have a cushion and it doubles as a seal.

Also, I machined the diameter of the lens so they would be .100 smaller then the housing opening.  I let that gap fill with urethane also.  I did add and O-ring seal to them after the urethane hardened, but it wasn't necessary.  I already had a 45 degree chamfer on the lenses to accept the O-ring from my first design idea.  So I put it in.  Remember, your not going to get the lens out very easy if you put them in like this, but it makes a good seal.

Another note,  If you have any imperfections or scratches on your lenses, put the scratches on the outside.  They disappear when your sub is in the water.

Dan H.