[PSUBS-MAILIST]

Dear People.

A whole heap of Q's

1.

    Does anyone design 2 man subs with diesels? I need to be able to have my sub be quite quick relatively speaking in the water, (6 knots) as I have no means of carrying it on a big boat. Is more than 6 knots achievable with a diesel?  I was thinking around 8hp diesel....   Just guessing.

I assume the diesel can never run underwater? Or is it possible to run for say a minute just under the surface where exhaust escape pressure is minimal and there is enough oxygen in the engine chamber to keep in going?

2.

I notice looking at photos that few subs seem to have separate fore and aft ballast tanks to level out when load distribution is not the same for every dive. Why is this? Or do they?

3.

Can someone give me a rough guess on size needed for a 2 person, 1 atm sub, with diesel and electric.

I was going for a pressure chamber about 3m long and about 1m diamter. And the height gaineed through risers with view ports.

4. Would a normal sized 2 person 1 ATM sub cope in the ocean off a surf beach in say 1.5m swell? Can you just stay below for most of the time and travel to a quiet inlet for embarking and disembarking?

5. Would 10,000 Australian be sufficient to complete a 2 person, 1 ATM sub? I can possibly get most things at a very good price including the pressure chamber.

6.

What sort of navigation equipment to personal subs have on them and how expensive is it? Can any of the sonar equiopment be home made? How about using a fish finder pointer ahead horizontally like we use on boats just with the cone angle going hirizontal?

Iain Gibson
Soil Scientist
NRSc, Department of Natural Resources and Mines

Sustainable Land Management Group
Block B, 80 Meiers Rd, INDOOROOPILLY  QLD  4068
Email: iain.gibson@nrm.qld.gov.au
Ph: 07  3896 9308 Mob: 0405 041 654

and/or publication of this e-mail message is prohibited.
computer system network.