[PSUBS-MAILIST] Running diesels underwater

Regarding running a diesel underwater.
I understand that the German's prior to WWII had developed
methos of recycling engine exhause gas with addition of more oxygen to allow running of diesel (and gasoline engines?) in a closed circuit except for exhausting CO2. I recall reading in Rossler's monumental work on U-Boats that the units were silenced so well and mounted so well that no noise was heard and vibration was minimal. Rossler mentions that the lead scientist left German in 1933 for racial reasons, another case of NAZI's shooting themselves in the foot with antisemitism.

Anyway that might be a productive area to research for submerged propulsion. Although liquid oxygen isn't the most benign material to work with, I understand that it isn't that expensive to buy and use. If the engine were in a sealed
compartment, perhaps surrounded by carbon dioxide and the
fuel came from an amidships tank, then stability issues wouldbe less. There are oxygen sensors made that are used with rebreathers though how well they'd workwith exhaust gases is uncertain,

I don't know a lot about this, maybe just enough to get me and others into trouble.

Larry Murray