Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hull thickness technical help needed

David, (I think, you don't sign your posts)

No heartbreak here, I happen to love composites...there's a little outfit out in Mojave California, (Scaled Composites I believe :), that's been doing some pretty amazing things for awhile now. In fact, they'e been showcasing for decades now composites absolute best feature.......it's super high strength to weight ratio.

What if you could build a composite 1 atm sub hull that could submerge 50 cf to 1000 m, and the shell itself would weigh a mere pound.

Would you still require 3,200 lbs of weight to reach neutral buoyancy? What would this weight consist of? I don't believe good ole Archimedes there will let us get away with that so fast.

So composites is ruled out as a favorable material for 1 atm submersibles by simple physics is it not?

If you are to pursue a 1 atm submersible hull utilizing composites, you must do so by acknowledging and accepting the responsibilities and pitfalls of experimentation with the budget and resources of an individual.

Personally....me copy what been done already! :)

It is the intention of this forum to promote safely operated and successful psubs. Be prepared to receive feedback that you may not be expecting nor desire to hear. This is a veritable gold mine but, you have to learn to mine it.

Best of luck to you

Joe