Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 200ton 18meter Live aboard submarine

Hi Cliff.

Correct, this is a 4:1 ratio hull.  The reason for using a 4:1 hull is that
is what Wil found successful for his 20ton prototype.  With the 4:1 hull you
get a deeper "belly" and store ballast lower down leading to better dive
stability.  So, the basic reason for using 4:1 is this is what Wil is most
comfortable with.  Although I would prefer a 6:1 hull, being 4:1 is not
going to be a deal breaker for me.

For dynamically trimming the boat, I was thinking of mounting two dive planes
one of either side of the sail.  Also I would like to consider trying
some thing like a V rudder mount on the bow.  An X tail would be fun as well,
but that's not going to happen for a few years down the line.

I want a tall sail/c-tower for surviving bad weather, which is going to
lead to the upward moment you are talking about.  Dive planes on the bow
or c-tower will help, but with added drag.  Actually, I'm hoping to see how
UC-3 hands underwater (nice sail Peter!) and get some ideas on how this is
best solved.

The sail/c-tower in the 3D image might be too much work for the first
rev, so I may go with something more traditional.

There is also more information on concretesubmarine.com.  Wil has put
up all our communications regarding the sub:
http://imulead.com/tolimared/concretesubmarine/anuncios/bd/

Cheers,
 Ian.