From: brenthartwig@hotmail.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] live aboard submarine yacht - affordable
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:45:10 -0800

Greetings Wil.

I can't have loads of power, Oh man I love the power. ; )'

"The breathing problem is a good example why making a yacht sub big
> enough is so essential - the size solves a lot of problems - from CO2
> scrubbing, to ocean crossing, to live aboard, etc...
>
> A person has a breating rate of 8liters/minute this gives you 125
> minutes in a 1tonner to finish up the atmosphere of the artefact but
> it gives you 25.000 minutes (416 hours=17days) in a 200 tonner.
>
> So this means a couple of days to come to the point where CO2
> scrubbing is needed - problem solved - pellet cost cut - oxigen tank
> and sistem cost cut. Sistem danger like bottle explosion oxigen fire
> cut."

You make a good point,  however I would still find it important to have O2 and scrubbing back-up systems for emergency use, as well as redundant O2 and CO2 sensors and alarms .  I find that for what ever reason I can sense if the air in a space has a lack of O2 and/or to much CO2.  I sleep in a good size room measuring 15' X 25' by 8' high and if I have the door closed to the rest of the house and the forced air system off, I will wake up in the early morning with a desire to get good air. I wake up even sooner if I have my large dog sleeping in the same room.

I really enjoyed your page on whales and propulsion, thank you for putting that together.  I would worry about having only a small diesel or electric drive system.  Only since in my personal experience, if you don't have enough propulsion to to deal with some fast currents, tides, other boats, and/or a good backup propulsion system, you could very quickly find yourself on the rocks, above or below the surface.  Allot of sailboat type clients don't mind a slower trip, but the motor yacht people love there power. So keep that in mind.  As usual the sub would be tailored to the clients  specs.

Regards,
Brent Hartwig